Sunday, April 10, 2011

Winning the Real Maine Wedding: Laura & Nolan's Story

We promised you a blog from Laura, and she has delivered!  Get your hankies out now; their story, told in Laura's clear voice, is charming and romantic.  Thanks for letting us get to know you a little better!

"My first blogging experience!

Just a few short days ago, Melanie Brooks announced that Nolan and I were the winners of the 2011 Real Maine Weddings Contest! Words cannot describe the way that I felt when I heard our names announced. Eight months prior I was hugging him at the airport, wondering how I was going to make the time fly until I got to have my best friend back. Many long letters and midnight phone calls later, I found myself sitting at a little brewery in California with my soldier, my jaw dropped open, staring at a beautiful diamond ring. He had come home for his mid-tour leave and, so he says, “executed his master plan”. It wasn’t until he was back in Afghanistan that I found out about the Dream Wedding Contest, and I sent him an email urging him to call me as soon as possible!

Now, I’m a hopeless romantic and I can get pretty carried away. As I babbled on and on about the prize package, the Haraseekett Inn, the wedding gown, the tuxedos, the honeymoon, the wedding bands, the cake, the team of wedding planners, photographers and videographer, Nolan just said calmly, “Good hun, go for it. That sounds very nice.” At this point, I was convinced we had a shot. He was probably convinced that this deployment was making me go crazy! It wasn’t until our video was posted and our votes were up that he called me at 2am one morning and said, “Laura, are we in the lead?!” I said, “YES!” And suddenly his facebook wall was announcing the contest. I guess I wasn’t so crazy after all.

The instant support that we received when we entered this contest was humbling and indescribable. My friends, family, long lost friends, old classmates, and other random acquaintances were sending me beautiful messages thanking Nolan for his service, and wishing us both the best of luck. We received marital advice, blessings and kind words daily. Already, the experience was more than worth it. We felt so lucky and we soon learned that it had only just begun.

We are so thankful and so excited to be able to experience the Real Maine Wedding at the Harraseeket Inn in Freeport in October! Nolan and I will be forever grateful for such a wonderful opportunity. This Tuesday, I will be meeting with Amber and Kathryn at Sweetest Thing to begin planning the details, many of which will be chosen by the public. I am really excited to see what everyone chooses for us! People will be able to vote on my dress, our décor, the honeymoon and more!

In just a few short months, I went from planning a wedding alone while my fiancé served overseas, to having the help of some absolutely amazing event planners, and the opinion of all of YOU! This is the best prize in the world, and we are so thankful from the bottom of our hearts.

Laura & Nolan"
 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

As she says, Laura and I wondered 8 months ago how we were going to get through this deployment! As his mother, this is the third time I have sent him off on deployment. Unlike the first two deployments when he was very careful with me, this time I knew he was counting on me to carry Laura through. This has been the easiest deployment because of the gift he left us with--Laura! No one can be with Laura for long and not be caught up in her exhilaration for life! She has the remarkable gift of making everyone feel like her best friend and I am so blessed to have been chosen to be her mother-in-law.

katie wesolowski said...

Laura's mom and I have been close friends since we were about 14 years old. I was so excited when she told me that Laura and Nolan won this contest! Laura, this is wonderful!

Love,
-Katie